Friday, March 29, 2013

Joy in Christ

Today at school, we had student body... The serious one. 

Every semester, we have at least one student body. One semester we have a funny one and then the other we have a serious one. Typically, students dread the serious one. I have been guilty of this as well.

But today was really encouraging. The passage was John 15. The speaker was talking about how Christ is the vine and we are the branches... How we've been "grafted into" Christ. How everything the branches (we) do is nothing without the vine (Christ).

John 15:4-5
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

However, he changed the illustration a bit. He compared us to an iPod.

2nd generation to be exact.

Something a little more understandable for the modern audience. Christ, as his illustration panned out, is the charger. The iPod, without the charger, is nothing. Just a square of uselessness. Unless the battery is powered by the charger, the iPod is just something that takes up space. No matter how hard you try, the iPod will do nothing for you.

The illustration really made me think. How many times do I try to overcome temptation, or even the mundane hurtles of life, without Christ?

Oh yes, this is something we'd never admit in prayer meeting or small group. But isn't it true? How many days can I honestly say I've woken up totally dependent on Christ getting me through the day?

We have time to brew the coffee, make sure the outfit we picked out looks nice, and even make a point to meet friends for breakfast, but do we make time for Christ? Our true source of power? Coffee, as beautiful as the creation is, only gets you so far.

I was convicted as conviction comes.

The service also talked about Joy, true Joy. Something I've been meditating a lot on recently.

Joy doesn't come through circumstances, or people, or even that blessed cup of coffee.

Joy comes through Christ.

Even when the pain is too great and the loss we've experienced is so huge, we can have joy in Christ. He has given us so much and has poured grace on our lives in so many ways. He has experienced more pain and suffering than all of mankind, bearing the sins on that beautiful cross some 2,000 years ago today. He understands. He loves. He cares.

He gives Joy.

We sang the song, "Oh God, My Joy," and the lyrics were beautiful. Take some time to meditate on them... You will be encouraged.

"O God, My Joy"

O God, my joy, You reign above 
In radiant splendor and beauty.
Your Word has drawn my heart to love 
The awesome sight of Your glory!
Your blazing Light and gospel grace 
Shine brightly from my Savior’s face!
No other wonder would I see 
Than Christ enthroned in His glory!

Sustained by joy in trial and pain, 
I trust Your wisdom and mercy.
Through suff’ring that Your love ordains, 
More like Your Son You will make me.
For Christ embraced the cross of shame, 
Beholding glorious joys to come!
O give me faith like His to see 
That suff’ring lifts me to glory!

Compelled by joy, I fight the sin
That turns my gaze from Your glory.
Your Holy Spirit dwells within; 
His presence arms me for victory!
Let death and hell against me rise; 
Through death I’ll gain eternal joys!
All pow’rs of hell will bend the knee 
Before my great King of Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment