Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What does your vapor count for?

I've been thinking a lot recently about the shortness of life.

No, I'm not morbid.

No, I'm not depressed.

No, I'm not a sad person.

I've just been thinking about it recently. Compared to eternity... Life is short. Like, shorter than Christmas break short... which is always wayyy too short...

Our window of existence on earth is so brief. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I'm in college already... I have spent my childhood days, my high school days, and my college days are almost halfway over too. Soon, I will be out of college, maybe married, and then the days only fall off the calendar more rapidly and the times flies faster than we can say, "Slow down."

Most times, as humans, I believe we forget how our days are indeed numbered. One day, whether we're ready or not, we will all pass away. The people we love will pass away and a new generation will follow. This mortal body will fail and I will enter eternity.

The reality cannot be ignored. But do we live out this reality? Do we live each day to the fullest, making sure to make time for what really counts?

I know I've been guilty of this. Focusing on the negative and hoping that, "Tomorrow will be better."

What if tomorrow doesn't come?

What if today is the last day I have?

God has blessed us so much. Shouldn't we rejoice in everything giving thanks as the Bible says to do?

The Bible compares our lives to a vapor... Here. Gone.

I know that when I die I will be with my Savior. That is the day I've waited for for my entire life.

But what about what I've left behind? What are people going to say about me at my funeral? How many lives will I have touched?

If I focus on the negative... the "bad days" of life... the impact will be little or nonexistent.

However, Christ has given us an example of what it means to live a life of great days. He was nailed to a cross over 2,000 years ago, but people are still talking about His life, His mission, His purpose... the only purpose of life.

That's what I want people to remember me for... I want people to remember that I lived out Christ's mission. His mission of the hope of salvation we have in Him. His gospel of love and forgiveness.

I want my vapor to count for more than a nice house, or car, or well groomed family... I want it to count for Christ... for eternity. I wan to impact people for Christ and share the love that He offers to everyone.

I want my vapor to count.

No comments:

Post a Comment