Monday, February 18, 2013

A Trickle from Life's Frozen Pipes

Monday mornings. Gotta love em.

After having a weekend of no classes for two days, sleeping in, and just relaxing...

Monday morning hits like a load of bricks rolling off a dump truck.

"What would make it better?" you may ask.

Well.... apparently my university thinks that having three dorms of girls completely void of water would make it better.

Happy Monday to Me.

My initial reaction, "AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DATT!"

I was, ashamed to say, very upset. Thankfully, my friend Anna's dorm had water so I was able to get ready in her room...

As the day went on, the joke was passed around campus about the girls having no water. Some girls were laughing it off, while others were clearly upset. I fell more in the first category, even though a small part of me was upset too.

However, when it I got to chapel, my attitude on the situation began to change... a lot. Our president spoke from Psalm 103 and the theme of his message was, "Behold Your God." Most of the message was dealing with the awesomeness and powerfulness of our God, but my mind could not get away with verse 15-19.

As for man, his days are like grass;
    he flourishes like a flower of the field;
16 for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
    and its place knows it no more.
17 But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him,
    and his righteousness to children's children,
18 to those who keep his covenant
    and remember to do his commandments.
19 The Lord has established his throne in the heavens,
    and his kingdom rules over all.

And while I admit, this passage does not specifically deal with our response to water shortages, I could not help but focus on the part, "for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more."

We are, as this passage says, like grass. Or in other passages, our lives are compared to vapors. One moment here, the next, gone. 

And then I began to think, in 10 years time will we really remember that, on Monday Febuary 18th 2013, we had frozen pipes and no water. Silly thought, I know. But seriously, how often do we complain about things that don't matter. Really... 1st world problems. 

I got to thinking about my extension on Friday nights. This past Friday, we had an open house night for the Bible club. Parents were supposed to come and see what the club is all about. This Bible club is in a rough part of town - most of the children come from broken homes and many of them are the only ones from their family attending church. I was, to be honest, not expecting any parents to show up. A few parents did, however, and overall it was a great experience. 

Although, one father came and was either drunk or high. The girls had practiced songs to sing for their parents and he was carrying on - disturbing the songs and activities. We were able to handle him fine, but his daughter was so embarrassed.  


Another girl's mom had promised to come but never showed up. When the bus dropped her off afterwards she told me, "Oh, my brother's car is blocking her in. That's why she couldn't come." My heart sunk and I assured her that she was right. 


This little girl below named Betsy made a Valentine. When her mom never showed up she wanted to give it to me. I told her that she could make another one for me later and that she should give this one to her mom.



After I thought about all this, the frozen pipes seemed so insignificant. How many times do we, as Christians, get upset about things that don't matter. Yeah, they might be frustrating but are they really gonna matter in eternity? Prob not.

Most of these kids will never have a Christian influence outside of Bible club. They come from homes that either don't care or don't know about Christ and His love. 



Walking to another dorm for a shower is really not that big a deal when you think about kids that don't even have water to drink, let alone shower in. 

We have been so blessed by God. He has given use loving homes and a hope to share with others... Don't let the frozen pipes of life freeze your heart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment